In a previous post, i taught you how to transfer your existing contacts on your iDevice to Google Contacts. In this post i will teach you how to transfer those to your new iCloud account by Apple. It is a very very simple process and it will take you less than a minute [Unless you have a few thousand contacts.] It will involve importing and exporting contacts that sounds complex but it is really easy. Just follow my every step will you?
First things first. Your contact details must be on Google Contacts. You must own an Apple ID. [If you're not sure what is it, it's the ID you use to purchase and/or download apps from AppStore and songs from iTunes.]
Once, you’ve checked through you’ve both of them, follow this guide.
- Go to Google Contacts.
- Click on ‘Export‘ on the top right hand corner of your web browser.
- Select ‘Only…‘ or ‘Everyone‘ to export
- Then select ‘vCard format‘ and click ‘Export‘.
- A new file should be in your Downloads directory. Keep it there, it’s a very important file that we will use later.
- Go to iCloud and login using your Apple ID.
- You will first be prompted a ‘window’ requesting for your photo, language and time zone.
- After you’ve done inputting the fields, click on the second icon – contacts.
- You should notice that it is empty. [it needs to be empty. Otherwise you can't drag any file onto the web page. If you have a contact, delete it.]
- Try clicking the ‘Settings’ icon on the bottom left of your screen. If you manage tclick on onthat,slip the steps below and click import vCard. Select the file you’ve downloaded just now and it should start importing. [look here for pictures via @Justin]
- If step 11 doesn’t work for you, Drag that vCard file from your Downloads directory to the ‘Left Page‘ of the book. [It may be to the right side of the page, depending on which view you are on. Thanks @DavidDeSloovere for pointing it out]
- In cases where step 10 doesn’t work, sign out of iCloud and back in. Prepare to drop the file in when the address book interface appears and a blue border will appear around the container. You have to be very quick. If you succeed, a popup will appear showing ‘Importing‘. [Apparently, iCloud web is still buggy]