Call forwarding [some call it call diverting] is rather useful. It allows you to perform a few tasks
- Divert when busy – reject a call or when you are already engaged on another call and the caller will immediately be diverted to a stipulated number.
- Divert when not reachable – when you did not pick up a call, your caller will be diverted to the number you specify.
- Divert when your iPhone is switched off.
- Divert all calls.
The only downside of it is, if your call gets forwarded, you will be paying both incoming and outgoing call charges on your iPhone. The diverted number will only be charged of incoming calls. If that’s okay with it, read on!
There are two ways to activate a call forwarding. The first way is to dive into the settings of the iPhone and key in the number you want to divert to [Only divert all calls]. The second way is to dial a special code and you will be able to divert easily. [You can even set it as a contact and 'call' that number to divert accordingly.] I will teach you both ways, step by step.
First is the troublesome way – diving into settings.
- Open Settings on your iPhone
- Go to ‘Phone > Call Forwarding‘.
- Flick the button from off to on.
- I assume you are call forwarding for this first time. [In the future, you just have to turn it on and the last number you forward calls to will be used automatically.] Enter a number you want to divert to. [You can't divert to yourself - Obviously. And if i'm not wrong, you can't divert to emergency numbers. I can't verify this because i'm not living in the US but this call forwarding works for sure.]
- Click ‘Call Forwarding‘ where the back button should be – and give it a few seconds to verify that it is a valid number.
- When it’s done, the ‘Call Forwarding‘ option will no longer be grayed out. You can now exit the settings app. A new icon will be on the status bar, [It depicts a phone with a right arrow]
If you are looking to turn it off, perform steps 1 and 2 but flick the button from on to off. Next, is the easy way!
- Dial ‘**61*[divert number]*#‘ [Divert when not reachable]
- Dial ‘**62*[divert number]*#‘ [Divert when your iPhone is turned off]
- Dial ‘**67*[divert number]*#‘ [Divert when busy]
- Dial ‘**21*[divert number]*#‘ [Divert all calls]
- Dial ‘##002#‘ [Cancel All Diverts]
For CDMA iPhones – Verizon iPhone for example, please dial these numbers instead.
- ‘*72‘ to divert all calls.
- ‘*73‘ to cancel all diverts.
You can save them to your contact list. Enjoy!